AVAILABLE POSITION: ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY
Growing San Diego AV-rated Construction and Business Law Firm with emphasis in public works construction seeks a litigation associate with two to eight years’ experience, strong academic background, ambition and attention to detail. Public work trial and appellate court experience is a plus.
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP’s attorneys come from diverse backgrounds with common threads of academic excellence and unique character. The firm fosters a team environment where the strength of the firm prevails over its individuals. However, Associates are given responsibilities and are compensated commensurate with their individual demonstrated drive and abilities. Associates receive a base salary and benefits package which is competitive in the San Diego market.
Associates are expected to independently analyze and recommend practical, cost efficient legal solutions. Guidance is readily available and provided by Partners and senior Associates so as to ensure that new Associates develop into goal oriented problem solvers who earn clients’ confidence.
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP hires motivated, energetic team players. If you want to be part of this growing, friendly firm, please submit your resume, transcript and cover letter to: Linda E. Quindt, CLM, Administrator
Partnership is subjectively determined by the existing firm partners based on the criteria below:
- Has a high degree of technical ability and regularly demonstrates the ability to achieve a high quality work product and result for clients.
- Has good judgment and is able to exercise it under pressure.
- Able to impress and handle a range of clients.
- Clearly demonstrates the ability to attract and hold clients for the firm by virtue of professional performance and personal qualities, including revenue generation and success of efforts.
- Demonstrates a willingness to contribute in time and effort to the sound administration of the firm and the firm’s non-fee work and other projects.
- Is a person of good character, integrity and honesty, upon whom, and upon whose word, one can rely.
- Relates well to the firm’s other lawyers and staff members.
- Supervises and leads subordinates, including significant delegation of profitable work.
- Contributes affirmatively to the economic success of the firm, including consistent performance at or above acceptable levels of revenues and collection.
- Makes intellectual/technical contributions used by others in the firm.
- Transfers skills to other firm professionals via mentoring and teaching.
- Makes methodology improvements used by others in the firm.
- Increases market awareness of their practice and the firm.
- Successfully cross-sells colleagues to clients.
- Strengthens, not just maintains, existing client relationships.
- Solicits new kinds of work that give others the opportunity to learn new skills.
- Makes themselves more valuable in the marketplace by continuously acquiring new skills and knowledge.
- Specializes in an area of specific need to the firm.
- Active/leader in community, professional, and/or bar association activities.
- Says yes and gets it done.
- Builds rapport with clients and fosters every relationship.
- Exceeds the minimum in hours and collections.
- Loyal to the firm and its staff, attorneys, partners, and clients.
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP’s attorneys come from diverse backgrounds with common threads of academic excellence and desire to achieve client results. The firm fosters a team environment where the strength of the firm prevails over its individuals. However, associates are given responsibilities and are compensated commensurate with their individual demonstrated drive and abilities. Associates receive a base salary and benefits package which are competitive in the San Diego market.
Associates are expected to independently analyze and recommend practical and cost efficient legal solutions. Guidance is readily available and provided by partners and senior associates, but associates are expected to develop into goal oriented problem solvers who earn clients’ confidence. Complete responsibility for a matter is given to associates if they have proven themselves to the firm and, more importantly, to clients.
Finch, Thornton & Baird values the many contributions made by our staff and recognizes these team members as integral to the firm’s success. The firm offers a positive work environment with opportunity to grow through mentoring and development. Several administrative and legal staff members have been with the firm for a decade or more, including some that have advanced into different positions over the years.
The firm provides state-of-the-art technology, training, and other resources necessary to ensure delivery of the best and most efficient service possible. A collaborative environment is central to our belief that we perform best when we perform as One Team. Staff members contribute regularly to the continual improvement of firm processes and actively participate in many policy decisions.
The firm offers full-time employees a highly competitive benefits package including:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life, workers compensation, and state disability insurance
- 401(k) and profit sharing plans
- Paid sick leave, vacation, and holidays
- Casual days
- Free parking
- A wellness program that features healthy fruits, snacks, beverages, and 24/7 use of the building fitness center and gym
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP was recognized as a 2017 Top Workplace in San Diego by The San Diego Union-Tribune.
The firm’s law clerk/summer associate program is its primary source of new associates. Law clerks are generally hired in the fall of each year for the upcoming summer. Positions are also available part-time during the academic year. Law clerks are given substantial opportunities to participate in trial preparation, strategy and briefing, transactional matters from inception through closing, and appellate briefing.
The firm pays a bar stipend to summer associates accepting offers to join the firm upon graduation. The firm regularly hires at least two attorneys per year, so the summer program is an excellent opportunity to be considered for a post-bar career. Fourteen of the firm’s lawyers are graduates of these programs.