Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP recruits individuals whose legal skills are matched or exceeded by ambition, hard work, and determination to obtain results for firm clients. These guidelines apply to all hiring decisions, especially laterals, new associates, and law clerks, and are critical in offering partnership.
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP’s attorneys come from diverse backgrounds with common threads of academic excellence and desire to achieve client results. The firm fosters a team environment where the strength of the firm prevails over its individuals. However, associates are given responsibilities and are compensated commensurate with their individual demonstrated drive and abilities. Associates receive a base salary and benefits package which are competitive in the San Diego market.
Associates are expected to independently analyze and recommend practical and cost efficient legal solutions. Guidance is readily available and provided by partners and senior associates, but associates are expected to develop into goal oriented problem solvers who earn clients' confidence. Complete responsibility for a matter is given to associates if they have proven themselves to the firm and, more importantly, to clients.
The firm's law clerk/summer associate program is its primary source of new associates. Law clerks are generally hired in the fall of each year for the upcoming summer. Positions are also available part-time during the academic year. Law clerks are given substantial opportunities to participate in trial preparation, strategy and briefing, transactional matters from inception through closing, and appellate briefing.
The firm pays a bar stipend to summer associates accepting offers to join the firm upon graduation. The firm regularly hires at least two attorneys per year, so the summer program is an excellent opportunity to be considered for a post-bar career. Fourteen of the firm's lawyers are graduates of these programs.
Partnership is subjectively determined by the existing partners of the firm. However, major criteria include:
- Must have a high degree of technical ability and regularly demonstrate the ability to achieve a high quality work product and result for clients.
- Must have good judgment and be able to exercise it under pressure.
- Must be capable of assuming primary responsibility for major matters for major clients.
- Must be able to impress and handle a range of clients.
- Must have clearly demonstrated the ability to attract and hold clients for the firm by virtue of professional performance and personal qualities.
- Must have demonstrated a willingness to contribute adequately in time and effort to the sound administration of the firm and the firm’s non-fee work and other projects.
- Must be a person of good character, integrity and honesty, upon whom, and upon whose word, one can rely.
- Must have the ability to relate well to the firm’s other lawyers and staff members.
- Must be able to supervise and lead subordinates.
- Must contribute affirmatively to the economic success of the firm, including consistent performance at or above acceptable levels of revenues and collection.
- Specialization in an area of specific need to the firm is also considered, as is community, professional, and bar association participation.
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP values contributions made by its staff and recognizes them as integral team members. The firm offers a positive work environment with opportunity to grow through mentoring and development. Several administrative staff members have been with the firm for a majority of its existence and many have advanced into different positions within the firm.
The firm provides state-of-the-art technology and training. The firm strives to provide the resources necessary for the best and most efficient service.
The firm offers full-time employees a wealth of benefits from insurance (including medical, dental, COBRA, life, workers compensation, state disability, and paid family leave) to 401K and profit sharing plans, and also provides paid sick leave, vacation, holidays, casual days, and parking.
Available Position: ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY
Associate Attorney – Growing San Diego AV-rated Construction and Business Law Firm with emphasis in public works construction seeks a litigation associate with 2-8 years’ experience, strong academic background, ambition and attention to detail. Public work trial and appellate court experience is a plus.
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP’s attorneys come from diverse backgrounds with common threads of academic excellence and unique character. The firm fosters a team environment where the strength of the firm prevails over its individuals. However, Associates are given responsibilities and are compensated commensurate with their individual demonstrated drive and abilities. Associates receive a base salary and benefits package which is competitive in the San Diego market.
Associates are expected to independently analyze and recommend practical and cost efficient legal solutions. Guidance is readily available and provided by Partners and senior Associates, but Associates are expected to develop into goal oriented problem solvers who earn clients’ confidence.
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP hires motivated, energetic team players. If you want to be part of this growing, friendly firm, please submit your resume, transcript and cover letter to:
Linda E. Quindt, CLM, Administrator
Finch, Thornton & Baird, LLP
4747 Executive Drive, Suite 700
San Diego, CA 92121
Fax: (858) 737-3094